Buy an EPA Energy Star home built by Dodson Homes and save 30% on heating and cooling costs!! A house built to meet the minimum requirements of the EPA Energy Star Program will use up to 30% less energy than a standard built one! Sound too good to be true? It's not. By incorporating this program, with minimal added expense during new construction, the benefits for you, the homeowner, will result in tremendous savings, comfort, and a well built home. Perhaps the Energy Star package is not enough and you want to take it a step further. There are plenty of ideas available that save time, energy, and resources - rain barrels to catch run off to water your garden (a free source of water), the convenience of a recycling center in the kitchen (time spent not going to the garage), or a tankless hot water heater (hot water only when you need it), just to name a few. Below is a quick list of Dodson Homes standard features of which many are part of the EPA Energy Star Program:
Dodson Homes' Quality Check List
- SEMI-CUSTOM or CUSTOM - Dodson Homes, Inc. is a builder willing to make changes and modifications!
- MANUFACTURED FLOOR JOISTS are 11 7/8" and 16" On-Center (vs. 24" OC) - Provides solid support and a non-bouncy feel to floors.
- 3/4" SUBFLOOR - Tongue and groove subfloor is glued, nailed, and screwed.
- LOW-E WINDOWS with Argon between double panes - Keeps winter heat in and summer heat out!
- 1/2" DRYWALL (vs. 3/8") and 5/8" in Garage
- 4x4 CERAMIC TILE IN MASTER/HALL BATHS SET IN "MORTAR MUD" (vs. gluing directly to subfloor) - Greatly reduces the chances of breakage or loose tiles.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT HEATING/COOLING EQUIPMENT - We use a gas furnace with 92% efficiency and an electric air conditioner with a 12 SEER rating or a 13 SEER rated heat pump.
- ELECTRIC HOT WATER HEATER - Fifty or eighty gallons capacity water heaters are 93% and 91% efficient.
- SEALED DUCTS - Ducts are sealed at seams with mastic or tape - up to 25% air leakage can occur without this process.
- LIVING SPACE ABOVE GRADE WRAPPED IN TYVEK - Another step that reduces air infiltration.
- EXTERIOR WALLS - 2 x 6 studs are used, in addition, we use 7/8" plywood adding further structural strength to the wall.
- BLOWN CELLULOSE INSULATION IN EXTERIOR WALLS - insulation factor is R-19 or better. Blown cellulose insulation has an adhesive quality added allowing it to stay in place and to seal tightly reducing air infiltration/ex-filtration. This is very important: R-factor effectiveness is greatly reduced without this air control.
- BLOWN CELLULOSE INSULATION IN ATTIC - Attics are insulated at a R-38 factor! Typically the majority of heat loss occurs through ceilings in a conventionally insulated house. The extra insulation in the ceiling and the 'air stop package' (see below) greatly reduces heat loss!
- AIR STOP PACKAGE - Careful attention to the insulation is only a part of the story. The extensive air stop package includes stopping air flow around outlets and from access holes for plumbing pipes and electrical lines. This keeps unconditioned air from the attic infiltrating into the conditioned air of the home.
- FULL FOOTINGS UNDER PORCHES AND STOOPS - Stops separation or sinking away from house.
- LOW MAINTENANCE EXTERIORS - Vinyl soffits, fascias, and vinyl-clad, easy clean, tilt-out windows require no painting!
- IMPROVED COMFORT - Indoor temperatures stay more constant - warmer in winter and cooler in summer, because of sufficient wall insulation and low-E windows.
- IMPROVED NOISE CONTROL - With the combination of blown cellulose insulation and Dow Styrofoam insulation, exterior noise is greatly reduced.
- IMPROVED INDOOR AIR QUALITY - Homeowners are assured adequate ventilation is being provided. A continuous air exchange system is built into each home. Also, properly sealed ducts keep out air pollutants, such as dust and radon from cycling through the air system to the indoor environment.
- STRONG POSITION FOR HIGH RESALE VALUE - There is less risk of becoming technologically obsolete in the resale market as more and more homes are constructed to meet the higher standards promoted by the EPA. Resale homes without the built-in features of the Energy Star Program will be less competitive. It becomes more costly and time consuming to retrofit a resale home with the energy-saving features we build into our homes...only a fraction of the cost for better quality than those built by 'standard' requirements.
- REDUCED AIR POLLUTION - Per the EPA, American household energy use contributes to air pollution including 20% of all U.S. carbon dioxide emissions. By building more efficient homes, this pollution is greatly reduced.
"We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of Equal Housing Opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin."